Department of Education ~ Diocese of Rockville Centre
Catholic Elementary Schools
Diocesan STEM Fair
Holy Trinity Diocesan High School
Monday, February 6, 2017
Dear Parents and Students,
We are happy to inform you that St. Patrick’s School has been invited to participate in the first Diocesan STEM Fair. The Fair will be held at Holy Trinity High School in Hicksville on Saturday, April 8th.
Participation in the Fair will be based on STEM projects the students will complete here. One student from the 7th grade and one from the 8th grade will be selected to compete in the STEM Fair. The selection criteria will be based on the STEM Fair rubric, which is attached. The two projects with the most points will be selected to show at the Fair.
The directions for completing the projects will be given in school. Students will be working on the projects at home for the next month. Finished projects will be presented in school starting the week of March 6th. Selected students’ names will be sent to the Diocese on Friday, March 10.
The 7th grade science fair will be held after the presentations in the cafeteria on Friday, April 7.
If there are any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Mrs. Salustri and Mrs. Sanginario
Along with the attached rubric, this is criteria established by the Dioceses that the projects will be based on.
- There will be two levels of participation for students:
- Grade 5-6 and Grades 7-8.
- Each school may submit 1 or 2 participants in each level.
- Projects should represent an integrated STEM approach to scientific inquiry.
- The steps of the project must be presented on a tri-fold board. The steps should include:
- The project must be free standing and fit within the area of their tri-fold board.
- Students will be required to speak and answer questions about their project.
- A written report with a bibliography must be included (APA or MLA).
- The boards must look professional; handwritten or messy boards are not acceptable. Spelling and grammar should be checked.
- During the STEM Fair, participants must remain at their assigned projects during the entirety of the fair.
- Prizes will be award based upon the deliberations of the judges.
- The judges’ decisions are final.
- All projects must be dismantled and removed at the end of the fair.