Hello and welcome back!
St. Patrick's Youth Choir will be starting up next week, and your children will receive or may have already received a sign-up form at school to take home.
Youth Choir is open to all children grades 3 through 8. The Youth Choir has grown exponentially in the past two years, and we would like to continue that growth through this school year. I would strongly encourage you to enroll your children if they are not already members.
Youth Choir is a great experience for a number of reasons:
1) it is a great form of service to the Lord, and service to the community,
(also, continued participation in choir does count as confirmation service credit);
2) in addition to vocal technique, we focus on learning to read music, which has the added benefit of improving math skills and reading comprehension;
3) it benefits social skills and communication;
4) the children participate in a number of special services and concerts, including:
- a Christmas Service of Lessons and Carols in December
- Suffolk’s Children Choir Festival in January
- a Concert with a professional Orchestra in June; and
5) there is no registration fee to join!
The choir rehearses Mondays and Thursdays from 2:15pm to 3:30pm. and sings on Sundays at the 10am Mass in church. If your child is involved in another extra-curricular activity already, it is certainly possible for them to join Youth Choir. Students may be in both choir and band or theatre arts, as well as continue to be an altar server while participating in choir.
Please look over the choir sign-up form when your child brings it home. It is also available on the parish's Music website here: http://stpatrickhuntingtonmusic.weebly.com/youth-choir.html. Signed forms are due in the school office by Wednesday Sept. 21st.
I look forward to meeting you and your children in choir this year.
Matthew Koraus, MM, FAGO, ChM
Director of Music Ministries
Church of St. Patrick, Huntington
(631) 385-3311, ext. 365